Monday, March 17, 2014

Wheat Update

I have a few ideas/thoughts I am considering talking about at some point this week, but I'm reminding myself to live by the mantra of "think before you speak," so those thoughts might end up being non-post worthy after all.  We'll see....  I've peaked your interest, haven't I?  :)

But, first I decided that it was time for another reduced-wheat update.  I was asked by several people over the weekend if we are still eating wheat free.  Yes, and no.  As I stated before, we've not completely eliminated all wheat from our diet.  Doing so would cause great distress on our bodies if, & when, we decided to reintroduce it.  And by "distress" I'm pretty sure I don't need to expand on what the means.  But, the answer is mostly, yes.  We are still working hard at keeping wheat (heavy carbs) out of our diet.  I, for one, feel so much better, and I notice an increase in energy in our kids.  You don't even realize that you're bloated, until you are no longer bloated.  Make sense?  On the occasion that I do have a heavy wheat-filled meal, I usually end up feeling lousy and very uncomfortable (details spared).  Yesterday was a full-on, eat very unhealthy, day (calories don't count on Birthday's)...but, the difference is that I don't want to eat that way all the time.  I want to make good choices the majority of the time, so I don't have to feel terrible when I indulge on the rare occasion.

We are a little over six weeks into our healthy eating lifestyle, and I am 14.5 lbs. lighter.  I know it's making a difference.  I do weigh myself daily as I want to know what foods affect me the most, and keep an eye on those weeks where I have plateaued.  My clothes fit better, and I'm back in jeans that I couldn't wear post-Sadie.  I have a ways to go, but this is the right direction.  I've started tracking my food on My Fitness Pal, as a way to watch calories, carbs, sugar, sodium, etc.  On the days that the weather is above 40 I head out for a long walk with the kiddos.  I'd walk alone in temps below 40, but, well....I'm NEVER alone.  :)

Here is a picture from Valentine's day, and a picture from last week.  I can see a small difference already, and that makes me happy.

No comments: