I decided to start sharing with you the upgrades we made to the house, by showing you the Master Bedroom first....why? I don't really know. No particular reason. Maybe, because for a few moments this morning there wasn't laundry piled on the bed being sorted, folded, and left until each child picks up their pile after school. I was able to take a few pictures of the room, without much fuss. Maybe, because I need to start somewhere, and it was as good a place as any to start.
The first few shots are the before pictures. This is what it looked like when we went through the home. The potential was great....the wallpaper was not.
The carpeting in the room was a beige berber. It wasn't in terrible condition, but in need of a deep cleaning. The original plan was to have the rug cleaned, strip the wallpaper, paint, and be done.
See the walk-in closet and master bath? We've never had a walk-in closet (well, that's not true, our first apartment was only 350 square feet, but it did have a walk-in closet which doubled as a pantry, clothes storage, kitchen storage, book storage, etc., etc.), and we've definitely never had our own master bath.
Oh, but the wallpaper was ugly....
Here is where the plans changed for the room...
Dave did a test on the paper to see how easily it might peel off. When he did, we realized that the paper came off, but so did the wall behind it. We had a crumbling mess. Upon further inspection from Dave, and my brother, we realized that we had a carpenter ant infestation in part of our wall. Hence the hole in the wall, you are now seeing in this picture. We hired an exterminator to take care of the ants, but we were left with a hole, damage to repair, and dead ants all over the place.
When the kids offer to help, we give them jobs like - vacuum up the dead ants all over the floor. Alayna did a great job....but I'm not sure she volunteered for any more jobs after that. :)
This is where I don't have any pictures....we were so busy "being in the moment" of house renovations, that I didn't pause much to take pictures of the process.
A good friend of mine volunteered a day of her time to help me strip the wallpaper. She had done this several times, and to this point, I had only ever removed wallpaper one other time.
We used a solution of white vinegar and warm water, and a scoring tool, like this one.
We scored sections of the wall, then used large sponges soaked in the water/vinegar solution, and ran it over the area we had scored. Then, using a putty knife we scraped the area we had soaked down. The wallpaper didn't always rip in large sections, so it was a lot of scoring, soaking, scraping, repeat... I need to mention that keeping the vinegar water hot/warm was key. As soon as it turned luke warm to cold, we did not have success. We just kept changing out our water solution, and it worked great!
When we finally removed the last piece of wallpaper, we used TSP Cleaner (mixed with water, using the directions on the box), and with a clean sponge, wiped the entire wall surface down. This removed any remaining glue residue.
Because of the damage from the ants, and other factors,
we chose to rip the old berber carpet out, and replace it. We're so happy that we did.
Dave repaired the hole in the wall, and I went to work painting the room. We were so thankful to have friends & family volunteer time and help us with some of our projects. From painting trim & doors, to ripping out carpeting, we couldn't have accomplished what we did in three weeks time, without the help we received from others.
I wanted all the doors and trim painted white, then we did the walls inSherwin Williams - Universal Khaki, satin finish.
The wall, now paper free! Oh, and the hole in the wall is gone, too. :)
A side note about our furniture....we bought most of our bedroom furniture almost 14 years ago at a great store in Albany, NY called Huck Finns Warehouse. We bought it unfinished, and Dave finished it. Almost fourteen years later, it's still in great shape, but I'm tired of the stained wood and I have plans to re-purpose it...so, when I do, I'll share that with you.
My little splurge...I wanted a "statement" chair, and found this on Overstock.com
I love it!
I had a model for this picture...she wanted to be on my bed, and I wanted to let her. :)
The new carpet...it makes me very happy.
We still have plans to renovate our master bath, and when we do, I'll post the process.
I hope you enjoyed the tour, and the tutorial on what we did in this room. We're happy with it, and I look forward to sharing more rooms with you.