Saturday, December 5, 2015

Thoughts on the School Christmas Party

So, here's the thing, I have read the posts and seen the pins as to what "not" to give teacher's for Christmas.  They're tired of mugs.  Candy and cookies are coming out their ears.  Homemade crayons and drawings are sweet, but what does one do with them?  One post suggested they want wine...nice, yea, I'll just have my kid deliver you a bottle of wine to school and we'll see what happens....6:00 news, anyone?  And on the list goes.  Believe me, I get it. I appreciate my kids teachers, so I try to do something for each of them to say thank you.  I've stayed away from mugs and candy, and if you ever get a hand-made gift from my house it's because I caved under pressure and hated the project the whole time I worked on it.  I typically buy scented hand soaps since it's practical, useful, and most everyone likes them.

But, here's where I get to switch things up a bit.  I would like to write a letter to teachers about class Christmas parties.  My kids love them.  It's fun.  It's a change in routine.  It builds enthusiasm for Christmas vacation.  All those things and more.  I completely support the party.  Here's what I'm having a hard time supporting....bear with me....the gift exchange!  The kids come home with the notes saying bring a gift for a girl/boy for $5 or less.  That was such a cute fun thing when I only had one in school.  I didn't think twice about it.  Well, several years later and here I sit with three out of four in school, and some are involved in extra curricular activities and every. single. blasted. thing. requires a gift exchange. Oh, I know, it's not a big deal to some of you, and that's fine.  But, this is my space and I get to write about what's on my mind, and this is on my mind.

When my middle schooler told me this morning that her class was doing an exchange I asked if it was another $5 limit thing. She said, "well $5 is the minimum.  We can spend up to $25."  I'm sorry, what?  She also told me that this budget was set by her class, not a teacher.  Obviously kids without jobs are so great at setting budgets.  I immediately informed her that $25 would not be spent and that's the most ridiculous budget I've heard for a school exchange, and I may have rattled off a few other thoughts, as well.  She assured me she didn't expect me to spend that much, and I said you're darn right I won't be spending that much...I don't spend that much on relatives I actually like, so I certainly won't spend that much for a school gift exchange.  Then we headed to Wal-Mart and she spoke softly to me the whole way there because I was clearly one $25 comment away from slipping off the deep end.

Here's the thing - I want to appreciate the teacher's who invest in my kids.  I want them to have a fun party in class and I will gladly send in cups, or napkins, or pretzels, or all three if necessary.  But, spending $5 here and $5 there is feeling like a lot in a season of spending.  In the midst of Christmas buying I still have groceries and diapers to purchase.  We try to pay cash for gifts so we don't have bills into June from the holiday's.  We still need to put gas in the car and buy the food for Holiday baking and dinner parties at relatives and all the things that come with this time of year.  So, I'd love to offer a solution to the $5 gift:

-  Each child picks a name and has to make a card for that person with 3 things they like about them written inside.  That's it...here's your card, the end.
-  One item from the Dollar Tree...Kids like candy or silly putty or crazy cups...what more do they need?
-  Everyone brings in a canned good and it get's donated to the local food pantry.  Thinking of others outside our walls, and make that part of your celebration on party day.

These are just a few ideas.  It's nice to consider your friends, but maybe the gift exchange doesn't need to happen?  Maybe the party and the party games and crafts to make and take home are plenty. Maybe it's fine to stop there.  I think it is.  Maybe the gift exchanges happen when they're older, have jobs, and can buy their friends gifts themselves?

I know, this won't end the class gift exchange, but perhaps it will provoke thought to consider an alternative.  Parents are maxed out with their time and finances...at least most of the people I know, are.  Let your child shop with you and choose their gift to their teacher, or they can make the card to include with their teacher's gift.  Let them consider their teacher who invests in them, and not worry about buying little Johnny a $5 gift that will break and be tossed in the corner of his toy box within a day or two.  Just a thought.

So, I'll send in pretzels for the class party and I won't buy you another mug, and you ditch the $5 gift exchange....seems like a good deal to me.  

No comments: