Friday, October 30, 2015

Do This: You'll Feel Better

I'm thinking I should be making a list of all the things I'm not getting done this week, lest you think I have it all pulled together.  Which would be total hog wash, as I am just faking "pulled togetherness" like the rest of you.  At least I'm admitting it.  So, here's what I'm not getting done this week: Bathrooms, dusting, mopping, putting laundry away, ironing, etc.  I will get to those things, well most of them. Bathrooms are necessary.  Dusting and mopping can be put off until you get to the point that you need to invite company over as a motivator to get these things done. "Honey, the house looks like we need to have company soon."  Yea, yea, don't judge me...

However, there is a project I have been working on this week that is making me feel better, so I thought I'd share.  I know that Christmas is not that far away, so I've been taking the opportunity now to sort toys, clothes, and books to donate.  I've already given several items to friends that can use them, and the rest will be donated.  I try to do this project often, but Christmas is a great motivation, since you know the offspring will be gleaning new items in less than two months.

If your kids are like mine, they have more than they need.  They don't play with half of it, and they probably won't even notice it's missing.  A phrase I say often is, "if I find it laying around, and you haven't been caring for it, then I assume you don't love it and can part with it."  Usually there's whining and pleading, and promises to take good care of it (Dave can be so difficult sometimes...kidding).  After I've said this I might return it to them and give it a little longer.  If I find it tossed in a corner somewhere again, then it's gone.  Currently I'm working through an ugly red plastic cat with my son....he swears he loves this thing.  I swear it's hideous and I keep tripping over it.  We'll see who wins.  I don't get rid of keepsakes, and things I know they love.  But seriously, sometimes you need to invade their room with a garbage bag and a donation box when they're not around, and have all the evidence gone before they get home.  That's just smart parenting, yo!

Anyway, it's time to clean out the junk.  Christmas is coming.  More junk will be acquired.  Give it to someone who might really love it.  Anyone need an ugly red plastic cat?  Stocking stuffer perhaps?


No comments: