Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Candy Cane Cookies

I made these a few days ago, but I have not posted about them yet.  As I said in my previous post, I am giving myself permission to not make everything "just so" for the holiday's.  I am taking deep breaths, making what I have time for, and letting go of what I don't have time for.  But, saying all that, I did make these family favorites the other day.  

The much loved candy cane cookie.  My mom made these every year.  They are my brother's very favorite Christmas cookie.  My oldest now looks forward to these each year.  They aren't hard, just a little time consuming.  

This is our 5th Christmas without my mom, but I can still picture her so clearly standing at the counter making these, rolling them into perfect candy canes and storing them in the freezer for us to sneak out when she wasn't looking (frozen cookies are delicious, by the way).  I have carried on the tradition of making them for my family, and I think of her each time I make them.  

So, here you go....Candy Cane Cookies


Mix all ingredients until all the dough comes together.


Separate the dough into two balls, and add red food coloring to one ball.


Take a 1 inch piece of white dough and a 1 inch piece of red and roll them into "snakes" (or worms, or ropes, or sticks...there's really no wrong term for this step).


Roll the two "snakes" together to form your candy cane.


Place on an ungreased baking sheet.


Sprinkle sugar on them while they're still warm from the oven.

Recipe:

Candy Cane Cookies

Mix:
1 C. Shortening
1 C. Confectioner's Sugar
1 Egg
1 1/2 t. Almond Extract
1 t. Vanilla

Stir in:
2 1/2 C. Flour
1 t. Salt

Divide dough in half and mix in 1/2 t. red food coloring in half of the dough.  Make 4" long ropes & twist  to make candy cane.  

Bake 375 degrees for 9 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Remove.  While warm sprinkle with sugar.

No comments: