Thursday, December 12, 2013

Christmas Cookies

I am not a food blogger, but I am a food eater.  Since it's Christmas, I will be baking several different types of cookies.  Some will be taken to parties, while other's may go to teacher's and neighbor's.  And maybe, just maybe, some will be eaten by my family....okay, too many will be eaten by my family.  I've decided to showcase on my site the different cookies I am baking this season, the recipe, as well as maybe a little information as to why I chose to make that particular cookie.

I've got to be honest...I love to bake, but I am not a "fussy" baker, and I am not going to make something that requires umpteen steps to complete, only to have it devoured in seconds.  I bake things that we all love, that are traditions in our family, or were traditions in my home growing up.

With an infant at home, I am not baking up a storm all in one day.  My goal is to make one batch a day, for several days, and freeze the finished products as I go.  If I get too many cookies going at once, I risk having a baby decide to go off-schedule that day and remind me that she comes first.

What I made today is not fancy, but they're yummy, and probably made in every other home around the country this time of year.  But, I make them because I am in love...I mean the so-help-you-if-you've-eaten-the-last-one, kind of love, with all things peanut butter.  My children know that my favorite thing is Reese's PB Cups.  So much so that when they dig through their candy bags after Halloween, they automatically surrender a PB Cup to me as a way to prevent me from raiding their candy bags.

I make this cookie because of my love for peanut butter, because my family loves them, and because my mom always made them.


Kiss Cookies

The mixed ingredients - Don't you just want to take a big spoonful and hide in a closet away from your children and eat it?  No?  I'm the only one?  I doubt that, you're just lying to yourself.


Once the cookies are mixed, shape the dough into 1-inch balls, and roll in sugar.  Place dough on an ungreased cookie sheet.


Since I love peanut butter so much, I make half of the cookies with Hershey kisses, and half with PB Cups....then I hide the ones with PB Cups in a separate container and keep them hidden from the rest of my family.  Okay, not really, but that is an awesome idea!
(P.S. Having your kiddos unwrap the chocolates is a great way to involve their help, but you may have to allow them to eat 1, 2 or 10 during the process)


As soon as the baked cookies come out of the oven, place a kiss or PB cup in each warm cookie.


After a few minutes I remove the cookie from the baking sheet, onto a cooling rack lined with wax paper.  Once they are set I place them into a container and freeze them until needed....which is like five minutes after I place them in the freezer.  :)

Here's the recipe I use:

Kiss Cookies
(Makes 4 dozen)

1/2 C. Shortening
3/4 C. Peanut Butter
1/3 C. Sugar
1/3 C. Packed Brown Sugar
1 Egg
2 T. Milk
1 t. Vanilla
1 1/3 C. Unsifted Flour
1 t. Baking Soda
1/2 t. Salt
Sugar
1 (9oz.) package chocolate kisses

Directions
Cream shortening and peanut butter.  Add sugar and brown sugar.  Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour, baking soda & salt; gradually add creamed mixture and blend thoroughly.  Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 10-12 minutes in 375 degree oven.  Remove from oven immediately and place an un-wrapped kiss on top of each cookie.  Remove from cookie sheet; cool.


No comments: