Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Whenever Possible, Shop Alone


I am trying to finish up all of our Christmas shopping this week.

Let me give you an example of why I prefer to shop alone:  Yesterday.  WalMart.  10 a.m.  I had some returns to make.  We needed milk.  Joel was in Pre-School, so it was just Sadie & me.  I thought it would all go fairly smooth.  Four kids later and I still think a shopping trip with a young child will go smoothly.  I'm a slow learner.

The returns went well, then Sadie started to fuss.  Now, shopping in the winter with a baby is not simple. There's the infant car seat.  Then the heavy coat or snow suit, then a blanket, hat and some type of cover over the car seat to keep the baby extra snug & cozy.  So, I undid all of these winter necessities, picked her up, pushed the cart one handed and off we went.  Then my arm started aching, and I switched arms several times.  I decided to create a make-shift cradle in the front of the cart with my coat, and I laid her in it. Awesome, she was happy....for 5 minutes.  I picked her up and did the switch arms several times, pulled the cart one handed and contemplated whether most of the items on my list were really THAT important.  After all, toilet paper is over-rated, right?

I had all my items and headed for the check-out.  Lots of people, and only four lanes open.  Yay!  It's Christmas time, but who shops at WalMart around Christmas anyway?  Only every single person in the greater Erie area.  So I wait, switch arms over and over, and wait.  FINALLY, another lane opens.  I move into the new lane and wait behind one other person.  I lay Sadie in the make-shift cart cradle and try to unload items. She screams....and screams...and screams.  I pick her up, continue to unload one-handed and then I have to pay.  I try again to lay Sadie down.  She screams....and screams....and screams.  I pay, pick her up and attempt to load my cart with the bagged items (meanwhile I'm feeling over-heated and just a bit anxious because the gentleman behind me looked less than excited to be waiting.  The cashier was kind enough to ask if she could help load the items in my cart.  Yes, please!

Now I begin the re-bundle the baby for the elements game.  This is not a fun game, and is not for the faint of heart.  She's my fourth. I can handle this wiggly screaming baby, with poise.  I will ignore the stares of others, bundle her, strap her into the car seat, put my coat on, and be on my way.  She was fussing, she was fighting, but I was determined to be calm....THEN....then....as I get her all strapped in, another cashier smiles and says to me, "she's not too happy mom."  Really?  What makes you think that?  Okay, I was good until this point.  I prayed for patience, gave the cashier my best smile-under-stress face, and walked out.

I came home, texted Dave and said something like, "I'll give you twenty bucks to bring Joel home from pre-school for me today."  He graciously complied, and when he saw my frazzled state he knew better than to ask about the money.  He's a smart man...

So, today Sadie is sick with a bad cold, and this is probably what was causing her fussiness yesterday.  However, I have decided that if I want to keep any cheer in Christmas shopping, I will shop alone.  I may try again when she's 5.  We'll see....

No comments: