Monday, February 10, 2014

Wheat Schmeat...

I've been on a mission to work on better health for myself, and my family. Being a mom is hard.  Being the grocery shopper is hard.  Being the family chef is hard.  I feel so responsible for how well we eat, or don't eat.  We're not as healthy as we could be, and this is sobering.  So, I intensified my research to try and decide what would be best.  In my search I came across the book "Wheat Belly."  It's a very eye opening book, and a little overwhelming (especially for the extreme carb lover).  But, I've discovered the damage wheat is doing to our bodies, our mental focus, and our overall health.

So, with the support of my husband and my kids, we're working hard at making some life changes.  We already enjoyed fruits and veggies, but we have increased our intake of these foods.  We have decreased (greatly) our consumption of wheat.  I am not cooking meals that include pasta, bread crumbs or flour, or other starches.  We are not eating Gluten-Free products.  I am experimenting with almond flour, and coconut flour.  We've enjoyed some cookies and biscuits made from these things, but we've discovered that the wheat free bread recipe I tried was just not worth my time.

We are very much in a trial & error stage right now....and may be for a long time.  We're learning, but my goal is for overall health, not just weight loss.  But, speaking of weight loss, after only one week I've already lost 5lbs.  

My hope is that by talking about this, it will help me stay accountable and focused.  Hopefully I can keep posting about our progress.

No comments: