Sunday, February 23, 2014

Wheat Update

We are three weeks into our healthier eating lifestyle.  We've eliminated a great deal of unnecessary wheat from our diet, as well as high fructose corn syrup and added sugars.  Basically, what this looks like for us is that I'm not preparing meals that need to be thickened with flour, or have cream soup as the main ingredient (bye-bye almost every casserole recipe out there).  I'm grocery shopping more often because of the large quantity of fresh fruits and veggies we're eating.  We ate them before, but we've at least doubled our intake. I am experimenting with recipes that call for almond flour & coconut flour, and I've found a crustless pizza recipe that we've enjoyed for a treat.  Pinterest has been a great resource for recipes!

We haven't completely eliminated wheat from our life, we just don't have it at home anymore.  When the kids have a party at school, they participate.  When we get together with friends, we eat what food is provided. We feel this is a lifestyle we can live with, and so far none of us are feeling deprived.  I will add that Joel is still enjoying his pb&j sandwich at lunch.  The kid would be crushed for life if I removed that one staple from his day.  Except now he eats half a sandwich instead of a whole, with lots of fresh foods on the side.  It's a good compromise.

Dave & I have noticed a difference in the kids.  The difference wasn't obvious until Valentine's Day, after they had consumed a lot of junk food at their school parties.  That night at home we realized how whiny and out of sorts they were, and it was something we hadn't seen in them for a little while.  I should also mention that Dave & I both felt sick after eating pasta and bread on Valentine's Day.  We were blown away by the obvious difference in how we were feeling.

Dave has lost a total of 9lbs., and I'm down 8lbs.  I'm still nursing Sadie, so I keep that in mind while I'm choosing what to eat, and I recognize that my weight loss may be a little slower for now.  Overall it's going well.  I wanted to post an update because, as I said before, I want to keep accountable in some way.

No comments: